Saturday, May 1, 2010

To My Acting Friends

I've just returned from judging the Brussels International Fantastic Film Festival in Brussels. What an amazing experience! Not only did we view ten interesting, unique, and creative films, we met filmakers and fans from all over the world. We were wined and dined at the best restaurants and taken care of by fabulous, loving, caring Belgium friends.

What struck me the most was how all these films, whether horror, suspense, comedy, thriller - made commentary on the state of man and his loss, search and questioning of his soul. I especially loved the movie "INK" and its statement of choice and choosing. Find it if you can! So many performances touched me - even those with language I couldn't understand. It truly is astonishing how the soul and commitment of an actor surpasses any boundary to reach and affect the viewer. It is for this very reason that I believe CGI can never replace a live actor: the soul.

So I am returning to America with renewed determination to bring my best to the two films I am doing, and the series that I fervently hope is successful. Watching other actors from across the world affect me has reignited that passion to move people truthfully, and I can feel that familiar creative pull to create.

Whatever it takes - however you get there - keep reigniting your passion to share your truth of creativity with others: no matter the size or scope of the endeavor, be your own reason to allow that truth to be born. Move people with it. Move yourself with it. Go create!

Blessings, Dee

No comments: